Arthi Ganesan is creative jewelry designer who founded Arthi's Andal the handicrafted jewelry products brand.



I am Arthi Ganesan, a curious learner, self taught artist and an autodidact. Physiotherapist by academics and Artist by passion. I am deeply in love with terracotta and other such materials, where I'm looking forward to ways to expand its propensity. Creating new things delights me and this made me an Artisanal Jewelry Designer. This led me to open my store @arthis.andal which I am very much devoted to.

Every artist has a medium to flaunt their art.
And I chose jewelry as a medium to express it. I believe art can be showcased through any medium. And jewelry is no exception for it.  I always love to create jewelry with designs out of the box. Why should we always follow an already existing path or pattern? As Picasso said " Why do you try to understand art ? Do u try to understand a bird's song ? So art is completely something that we create and it's just fine even if it is completely crazy !

I was basically attracted to glass paintings and themed photo frames and working on commissioned orders from 2013. And it is only in 2016 that I accidentally came to know about jewelry making from natural clay through my cousin VINAY JK @jkvinayak.01 . I started creating basic designs by googling references and tutorials. Later on started taking up small orders after a workshop I attended. I enjoy painting on these jewelry, it is fun.  Back then I never knew that in another 4 years time this will turn into my career.

The first person who I got inspired with terracotta Jewelry making is Mrs. Hema Balakrishnan, founder ( Colordearth ) @colordeart_terracottajewelry
I m really inspired by her work, the way she supports a lot of terracotta artisans across India and her love for eco friendliness. The next person is Razia Kunj, ( @raziakunj ), Artisanal Jewelry Designer, Mumbai. Her designs are based on stories of her land, people, folklore and tradition etc. has inspired me a lot. And everything including culture, people ,nature, language, movies and anything that has colors and designs keep inspiring me.
 

Like every other Indian home my passion was so easy to keep up with. Having wanted to become a Fashion designer, I had to join Engineering. But then, quit engineering halfway and struggled to join bsc fashion design or BFA but landed in Chennai and made to join Physiotherapy. First lesson I learnt from life, If u want something don't just ask for it or wish for it, be adamant till you achieve it ! Engineering was nightmare but I topped my college in Physiotherapy, as I was able to express everything as art in medicine. But I always lacked passion in my work. That's when I decided on being adamant not to become a physiotherapist and to only do the thing that gives me joy. During my internship days, 2018 - was when the idea of Andal was born. I knew I wanted to pursue with it and decided to take it forward, despite of each and every soul around me telling I shld start practicing physiotherapy. But I chose what I thought was right for me. Always believe your gut feeling and instincts, it never lets us down. Our insta handle was started in August the very same year. And I m learning something new everyday with my page and people around it.  Life if short. If there was ever a moment to follow your passion and do something that matters to you, that moment is now !! Don't be afraid to follow your passion! Do it now and it will lead you to your purpose.

I don't organize ideas and exhibit them as art. For me ideas pop out only after framing a basic concept or theme, which can change even before the last step of completing. I just love the process of working on it and just believe the outcome to be beautiful the way it is. And I paint irrespective of the medium, terracotta jewelry, terracotta home decor, wood, canvas, paper etc. 

Practice is the key. Keep practicing, practicing and only practicing. Patience is the most required quality for this art. And one humble request will be to not copy or replicate any artist's work. It is always good to take references as a beginner but never try to replicate the work of another artist, because that would be their masterpiece/ brainchild and not ours. Our uniqueness comes only with our Creativity. So our style and creativity is very important in terms of jewelry designing.

I would like to whole heartedly thank my family, especially my brother Arvind, @dr.arvind_getz ,who has constantly been my pillar of support, well wisher, and best friends. My workshops and purchases would be a nightmare without him. Lots of love to my twisted sister @manisha_ramkumar for always sticking with me and her ideas and dedication for the betterment of the page. Loads of thanks to my brother @jkvinayak.01 for always being there with me right from the idea of ANDAL. A big thanks to Mr.Mohanakkanam @rtn.mohanakannan for sparking the idea of  workshops. And finally all my dear friends who constantly encourage and support me. I m very thankful and grateful to each and everyone of you.


- Arthi Ganesan
Founder- @arthis.andal 

Post a Comment

0 Comments